Tuesday, November 15, 2011

First Public Post

Hello, blog-o-sphere! I've used this blog privately up until now, but I guess you could say I'm ready to put my crazy self out there for the world to see! An exciting birthday present to myself came in the mail today:
When doing speedwork, I pretend Voldemort is chasing me. 

Okay, I got the nerd out of my system (for now). My running story is pretty simple. There is no agonizing weight gain or complete plummet of self-esteem. In fact, I've been running for as long as I can remember. My father is a distance-runner turned ultra-cyclist, so I guess you could say that the aptitude towards insanity endurance sports has always been there. I enjoyed an active childhood and teenage years. A massive knee injury in '06 landed me in the hands of an orthopedic surgeon for a tibial tubercle transfer procedure, among other procedures (I was not kidding about the massive part). 13 weeks on crutches later, I was becoming active again, but running terrified me. I cannot sugarcoat it--surgery & rehab sucks. I did not want to deal with it again! Plus, the joint felt kind of odd and it took a long time to heal. Slamming my body weight into it with each stride didn't seem wise. Fast forward to 2010...I got the  running bug again. I think I needed to work out some anger or something at the time and BOOM! I was back at it 3-4 times a week. I set a resolution to run a half-marathon and work towards a full. My friends and I set goals to run a race in every state! 


It's a start, y'all! 

My prospective marathon schedule for 2012: 
January 15: Rock n Roll AZ 

I still have one race left this year, RnR LV. I'm hoping PR again at this race, but we shall see. I've been working hard. If anyone out there knows of any amazing, interesting, or unique races coming up, let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment