Thursday, November 24, 2011

Turkey Day

Happy Thanksgiving! You know what's awesome about today? All over this great country, people rolled out of bed, got themselves together, and turkey trotted. I think it's pretty cool. You don't have to be hardcore or an experienced runner, it's about fun and fitness.

Today I am thankful that despite the holiday, the subways and MTA still got me to Prospect Park on time for the PPTC Turkey Trot well ahead of my race time. It was far less eventful than my trip out to the wilds for the Rugged Maniac. What a well-organized race! I set a new 5M PR of 43:34, which is exciting for me! The fact that my time is also a palindrome makes me geek out. Kudos to PPTC for starting on time AND having a well-informed and well-organized group of volunteers. There were volunteers at every mile marker calling out times and despite the fact that the Santa volunteer shirked my high five, I had an amazing time. As I like to think, I earned the gluttony of this afternoon's meal.
I'm going to high five everyone who passes me. Except you, lady

I was also lucky to get in a nice long run on Tuesday of 12 miles. I've been trying to listen to audiobooks while I run, and I have to say that it's working for me because it takes my mind off the pace. I love music, but I do tend to focus a little more on my pace when I listen to it. I don't know why or if that even makes sense, it just is. But I want to recommend Mindy Kaling's book Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns). It is hilarious and made me feel like, hey, I've turned out okay. I'm off to cook the obligatory green bean casserole! 


No comments:

Post a Comment