Sunday, November 20, 2011

Not-so-lazy Sunday

Stop the presses! I actually had a weekend off--both Saturday & Sunday. This, as of late, has been a wonderful luxury and it gives me a chance to see my not medically-employed friends and pretend that I have a semi-normal life schedule.

Saturday afternoon, after catching an after-work nap, I headed out to the wilderness of Brooklyn for the Rugged Maniac. I'm aware that non-New Yorkers might have a hard time believing that parts of the city are still relatively grassy and undeveloped, but I'm serious.
I even had to Zipcar my way out there. No subways. 

I'll post an official review later, when I have some pictures, but let's just say that the most adrenaline-inducing part of the day was my attempt to drive there through car accidents, construction, and a fickle GPS. I literally dropped off my bag and made it to the start line with 4 minutes to go, despite leaving over an hour and a half before the race (it was a 7.2 mile drive). The race itself was simply okay, but in terms of mud runs, I didn't find it to be worth the money. Some of the obstacles seemed haphazard and there was not enough course support, although the volunteers/staff I did run into were very enthusiastic. At one point I missed a turn on the course because it wasn't well-labelled (big thank you to the spectator and his 4ish year old son who pointed me back on course). I still actually don't even know my time because there was no clock at the start line. I think this was the first year doing a Brooklyn course though, so maybe next year will be better. meh. 

Today, after thoroughly inspecting my body for bruises from the mud run and sleeping through my alarm, I headed out for a 5 mile run. I couldn't have asked for a better day. 50s, sunny, slight breeze. I have been so spoiled this fall with perfect running weather. I even had enough time to enjoy a slow breakfast of homemade oatmeal. 

One-on-one time with my hubs, Mike Wazowski. 

I'm off in a little bit to meet my girlfriends for brunch at The Polish Palace. Then it's time to start doing something with this unruly mess I call my hair by getting a haircut. This week has a lot of good things in store: Turkey Trots, lots of food, friends, and the Macy's Parade. 

xx Mandie

No comments:

Post a Comment